external equivalents for truths

‘Flying over the desert yesterday, I found myself lifted out of my preoccupations by noticing suddenly that everything was curved. Seen whole from the air, circumscribed by its global horizon, the earth confronted me bluntly as a context all its own, echoing that grand sweep. I had the startling impression that I was looking at something intelligent. Every delicate pulsation of color was met, matched, challenged, repulsed, embraced by another, none out of proportion, each at once unique and a proper part of the whole. The straight lines with which human beings have marked the land are impositions of a different intelligence, abstract in this arena of the natural. Looking down at these facts, I began to see my life as somewhere between these two orders of the natural and the abstract, belonging entirely neither to the one nor to the other.

In my work as an artist I am accustomed to sustaining such tensions: a familiar position between my senses, which are natural, and my intuition of an order they both mask and illuminate. When I draw a straight line or conceive of an arrangement of tangible elements all my own, I inevitably impose my own order on matter. I actualize this order, rendering it accessible to my senses. It is not so accessible until actualized.

An eye for this order is crucial for an artist. I notice that as I live from day to day, observing and feeling what goes on both inside and outside myself, certain aspects of what is happening adhere to me, as if magnetized by a center of psychic gravity. I have learned to trust this center, to rely on its acuity and to go along with its choices although the center itself remains mysterious to me. I sometimes feel as if I recognize my own experience. It is a feeling akin to that of unexpectedly meeting a friend in a strange place, of being at once startled and satisfied—startled to find outside myself what feels native to me, satisfied to be so met. It is exhilarating.

I have found that this process of selection, over which I have virtually no control, isolates those aspects of my experience that are most essential to me in my work because they echo my own attunement to what life presents me. It is as if there are external equivalents for truths which I already in some mysterious way know. In order to catch these equivalents, I have to stay turned on all the time, to keep my receptivity to what is around me totally open. Preconception is fatal to this process. Vulnerability is implicit in it; pain, inevitable.’

Anne Truitt, Daybook. The Journal of an Artist.

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten

//

quoi?

ada limón adrienne rich ali smith alice notley alice oswald anne boyer anne brontë anne carson anne truitt anne vegter annie dillard antjie krog audre lorde bhanu kapil carry van bruggen catherine lacey cees nooteboom charlotte brontë charlotte salomon chimamanda ngozi adichie chris kraus christa wolf claire messud claire vaye watkins clarice lispector david whyte deborah levy durga chew-bose elif batuman elizabeth strout emily brontë emily dickinson emily ruskovich ester naomi perquin etty hillesum f. scott fitzgerald feminisme fernando pessoa han kang helen macdonald henri bergson henry david thoreau hermione lee herta müller jan zwicky janet malcolm jean rhys jeanette winterson jenny offill jessa crispin joan didion john berryman joke j. hermsen josefine klougart kate zambreno katherine mansfield kathleen jamie katja petrowskaja krista tippett layli long soldier leonard koren leonora carrington leslie jamison louise glück maggie anderson maggie nelson marcel proust margaret atwood maría gainza marie darrieussecq marie howe marja pruis mary oliver mary ruefle neil astley olivia laing patricia de martelaere paul celan paula modersohn-becker poetry poëzie rachel cusk rainer maria rilke raymond carver rebecca solnit robert macfarlane sara ahmed sara maitland seamus heaney siri hustvedt stefan zweig susan sontag svetlana alexijevitsj sylvia plath ta-nehisi coates teju cole terry tempest williams tess gallagher tjitske jansen tomas tranströmer tracy k. smith valeria luiselli virginia woolf vita sackville-west w.g. sebald yiyun li zadie smith

Blogarchief